80 percent of the people online use a search engine to find their product. 94 percent of website users make their first impression based on the designs. People search online and when they get to the website what’s their first impression of you and your company?
Pull up your website and do an analysis. Take a look and see if it’s time to update it. The biggest thing is going to be the graphics. A website has many components and if you don’t do right you will make a horrible first impression.
On our website we’re going to post a template of everything we talk about today. So whether you do your website yourself or have someone professionally do it the key is having the right things.
The home page is critical. In the old days the home page would have to look good and then people would look around. In today’s world because we’re often on cell phones the majority of the traffic to your site is going to be from a cell phone or tablet. A lot of information has to be on that first page.
What’s above the fold?
In the old days in New York when you rode a subway you would fold your newspaper a certain way while riding. They called it the subway fold. We use the same term on the internet. When you design your home page what’s above the fold? The fold is the same as the fold on your newspaper. To see anything below it I have to scroll. When I go to the home page I make my first impression. If I scroll down it means your professional, you have credibility and I’m staying.
Simplification of the menu
- Start Here or About Me. This is where you tell your story and go into a little bit more about why they are here etc.
- The Difference. What’s the difference between you and the competition? Is it technology, a different service etc. If it didn’t fit in the start here you can put it here.
- Blog or Podcast (you could also put more information, tips and resources etc)
- Contact Us
- Frequently asked questions
- If you are an online retailer you could put Shop at the beginning or the end. You want it at the far left or far right side of the menu, making it very simple.
Below the menu
- Below the menu the main graphic should be a picture of you, the founder. This way people can connect with you and humanize your brand.
- Next to that a catchy headline. You want something that’s going to tell them why they are there.
- Below that put a little bar with any awards you have won, media logos, media interviews and anything else that gives you credibility.
- Below that put a call to action. It’s critical that this is above the fold. We call it a lead magnet.
Focus above the fold. Keep it simple, make it catchy, give them the benefit of why they are there and get their attention so they will scroll down and take a look.